Wednesday 26 September 2012

OMG!!! I'm having my surgery in 2 weeks!!!

So.... something crazy has happened... I'm having my surgery in 2 weeks on 11th October!!!

I rang my hospital yesterday because at the moment I'm applying for jobs, and I thought it really would be helpful to have some kind of idea as to when my surgery's going to be.  So I rang the hospital and said 'Can you give me any indication of when it's going to be?' and the woman said it will probably be February now, much to my disappointment. But then she said that they'd had a cancellation and she was looking for someone to fill it so it's quite handy that I rang... The cancellation is for 11th October! I said I'd definitely want it but she said she'd need to ask my ortho whether she thought there was enough time to get me prepped, so she said she'd ring me back today....
So this morning I got a phone call from my orthodontist, and she said that they've decided there is time to get me prepped and that I can have the cancellation slot!!! She asked me to go in asap, so I went in this afternoon. She took some photos, did some moulds, did some measurements, and used the 'face bow' (lovely name) to measure how my top jaw sits in relation to my face. This face bow looked like and felt like something from Saw!  It was quite painful, they shoved it right in my ears and right up against my nose, it was rather unpleasant!  Apparently all of this was so that they could make my 'wafer'.  I'd never heard of this before but she said that it was so that during the surgery they can make sure that they've moved my jaws into the desired place.
So it's actually happening in 2 weeks and 1 day!!! It hasn't really sunk in that much yet, I don't feel anywhere near as excited and terrified as I should yet because I think it still doesn't seem real! I've now got lots of appts lined up. Ive got to go in next Weds to have my wafer fitted, but they said I might have to go up to the hospital that's actually doing my op tomorrow to have my pre-op assessment tomorrow, but they're going to ring me and let me know.
I feel sooooo lucky right now! Thank God I rang yesterday cos if I hadn't I'd probably be waiting until February!
 
Coincidentally it's my 19 month brace anniversary today, so I will post some pics in a min.  I also took a photo of my X-ray at the hospital so I will try and upload that too!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats! That's so soon! And so much better than February. I haven't had the energy yet to update the last couple of days for me, but number one piece of advice after surgery is to stay ahead of the pain medicine, don't wait for the pain to hit before you take more! And make sure you're taking stuff that really works for you. I had to have a couple of different things in the hospital before we got one that really worked. As long as I'm able to stay ahead of the pain with medicine its not so bad, well not as bad as yolk would expect after just having your jaw sliced and diced haha.. but you'll do great! So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thanks for your comment, I just started following your blog! You're looking great, can't wait to see the final result! I'll try to remember your advice when I'm in hospital and will make sure the nurses keep me drugged up haha!

      Delete
  2. OMG great news!!! You must be over the moon!! :D I'm sooooo happy for you!!
    I'm going to India on your surgery day but I'll be thinking of you, hopefully I will find Internet over there and ill keep track of your progress.

    I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow and I'm really hoping he'll say I'll be ready for January/February. I've had enough of these stupid braces!!!

    Hara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hara :) Really hope you get some good news when you see your surgeon! Ugh tell me about it, I've so had enough of these stupid braces!

      Delete
  3. HOLY COW!!!!! THAT'S AMAZING!! I will look forward to reading your posts - We will all be recovering together:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, it's weird because I was thinking that I won't have any surgery buddies because everyone seems to be getting there's already, but now I should be having mine around the same time as you and Terra!

      Delete
  4. YAY SARAH! I am SO SO excited for you! Congratulations on finally getting your surgery date :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! Can't wait til I'm post-op, brace-free, and will hopefully have a smile as beautiful as yours! :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Sarah, WOW thats fantastic news about the surgery date!! Very exciting!! The next few weeks will fly by and you'll be on the other side and looking/feeling amazing! I will be following your recovery for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhianna, I hope you're right that the next few weeks will fly by!

      Delete