Saturday 6 August 2011

4 months of braces

Wednesday marked 4 months of braces. I'm doing this in weeks rather than counting it on the same day of the month that I got my braces on if that makes sense. So technically it's 16 weeks. This is going to get complicated by the time I've had them for a year, because there are obviously 52 weeks in year, but 48 divided by 4 is 12 months...hmm I'll have to worry about that when I get there!

Anyway there's not much change in my teeth - nothing I can really notice anyway - so these pictures are probably pretty boring, but I'm just doing it every month so that I have a record for myself.

There are some occassions when I see a photo of myself and think 'THAT's why I'm having this surgery'. This happened the other day when I got my graduation photo sent to me in the post. I think I look terrible, all because of my smile. It looks so gummy. I'm not saying I think I'll consider my face to be perfect after surgery, but at the moment I just feel like my face is ruined by my teeth. Another thing I noticed in my graduation photo is that I show more gum on one side of my smile than the other. This has got me worrying that I have a cant, and I really don't want them to start saying about tilting my top jaw, as I know that this is what ended up with Tina being unhappy with her surgery. I'm probably just being over analytical and paranoid about it, but now in every photo I take of my mouth I seem to be showing more gum on one side than the other. But for some reason I can't see this in the mirror, only in photos. If I do have a cant I think I'd rather they just left it alone, because I've never noticed it before and I don't want to risk them overcompensating for it and risk having an asymetrical face after surgery.

Anyway here are my 4 month (16 weeks) pictures. I don't know if anyone can notice this cant I'm seeing, but if anyone has any thoughts about whether this actually exists or if I'm being completely mad, please feel free to let me know!


This is my natural smile and I'm sure I'm not imagining that there's more gum showing on the right side of my mouth (the left side of the photo) :s


There also seems to be more gum showing on my right side photo (below) than my left side photo (above)


I spent a few days staying at my dad's this week. He's probably the person who's the most sceptical and unaccepting about my surgery. He just keeps saying 'I don't know why you're going through with it'. But we've had that conversation a million times before and I couldn't be bothered to have it again, so I just kept saying 'Well I do, so let's not go over it again'. My sister said to him that nobody knows why I want to do it, which is true, but at least my mum and my sister have accepted that I am doing it. I said to my dad 'I'm sure you'll see the benefits once it's done'. He agreed and said he was sure there would be benefits, but kept insisting that 'There's nothing wrong with your face now'. I wonder how many times I'm going to hear that...


I have my next hospital appointment in just under 3 weeks on 25th August. I really hope my ortho sorts out that stupid wonky tooth with no bracket on at my next app. I think I'm going to start nagging her about it. I'm starting my first job on 1st September and I think I'd feel slightly less self-conscious about my braces if she'd bring it into alignment with the others.

4 comments:

  1. hey, your teeth are looking wonderfully straight and my dad is/was the same way he kept asking me, 'are you sure you wanna do this', 'I think youre beautiful you still wanna do this?'.Well, I did it, and he says im looking really great everyday. i think my mom talked to him about it too. so that helped. also if there's ever been a real, like turning point that made you know for sure you want this surgery, tell him. he loosened up after that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niki, I think most people will never understand why we all put ourselves through this, but hopefully everyone that says they don't know why I'm doing it will realise why I've done it after the surgery. I don't think my dad will ever get it, but I don't really care to be honest, I'm doing this to make me happy, not anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your teeth are very straight, so your progress won't be so obvious to you. that's good! There's less work to do. I have a cant too, and I don't want it fixed either, I think it's just part of my face, not my jaw and teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lou, I think because I had braces already when I was a teenager, they have stayed pretty straight. I hope that means braces on for less time before surgery! I've only just started noticing this possible cant, and the orthodontist and surgeon have never said anything about it, so I don't know whether I'm just being paranoid. But I can't see it in the mirror and I've never noticed it before, so I think I'd rather they just left it alone. Also I think every single asymetry in faces shows up more on photos, so I think it looks worse in these photos than it does in real life.

    ReplyDelete