Sunday 13 October 2013

1 year since surgery!

Firstly, I have to apologise for being a rubbish blogger.  I know I haven't posted for a few months, but as it was my one year anniversary since my operation I thought I should post!

This is the first time I've been on blogger for a long time, and it was actually really weird coming back on and seeing people talking about jaws.  It kind of feels like a different world that I've now left behind.  I used to be obsessed with coming on here and looking at people's blogs and their photos, but now it just feels like a lifetime ago.

So 1 year on... I am completely happy with my new face.  I have no regrets at all.  I've had my braces off for about 3 months now.  I still wear retainers during the day (they're see-through though, you can't notice them), but I'm going to the ortho next week so I'm hoping he might say I only have to wear them at night.  I still have some problems with opening my mouth, it has improved but I can still only open just over two fingers wide.  I've got jaw exercises to do though so hopefully that will improve with time.  I don't get any pain or anything like that. 

I probably won't really post much on here anymore, unless anything particularly exciting happens.  I feel like this part of my life has come to an end now, and finishing this blog marks the end of that journey.  However, I know what it feels like to think about jaws every day, so I'm more than happy to answer any questions.  You can leave comments on here, and I'll make sure I get back to you.  Or you can email me on sarahf1407@aol.com.  I really hope my blog has helped some people who are before, during, or after jaw surgery.  I know that looking at other people's blogs really helped me throughout the whole process, so I hope I can do the same for other people.

Here are some 1 year photos.  As I always say when I post photos, I think they make me look a lot worse than I do in real life!  I'm just not very photogenic!  But if I do happen to take any nicer photos (which is unlikely haha) I will post them too.







5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, I just speed read through your story. I too had a double Orthognathic Jaw Replacement Surgery, mine will be 1 year on Feb 13th 2013, and I too am having problems getting my mouth to open past about where you are. I have to tell you I looked FAR worse then you did after my surgery!!! You look amazing! My one side healed fast and my other side has just finally stopped hurting, but I am concerned about getting my mouth open wider. I am 52. Thank you for your blog, it helps to hear about others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,

    I just read through some of your blog, and am intrigued about how you managed to gain access to NHS treatment (I too am way past 18). - My previous Orthodontist from many years ago worked from the local hospital, so I have no way of contacting him now, and my current dentist is ignoring my problems and won't refer me to an orthodontist. - Should I just register with any orthodontist and hope they refer me to a surgeon (as in your case)?
    I have just contacted the local orthodontist and they told me on the phone that they have no adult NHS funding?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, it sounds like perhaps the orthodontist you spoke to thought you were asking for them to provide you with free NHS treatment (i.e. give you braces for free). You'll need to pay for your initial appointment with an orthodontist (I think it was about £40 for my appointment, but that was a few years ago!), and then hopefully they will refer you to an orthodontic/maxillofacial department of a hospital. So I would suggest calling a local orthodontist and just booking an initial consultation with them. Obviously they might not refer you, so it could end up being a waste of money, but for me it was worth the risk, and I'm so glad I made that initial appointment. I remember at that first appointment I was 99% sure they would turn me away and say I was too old to have the operation now, but thank god I still went, otherwise I would not be here now with my new jaws :) If you'd like to ask me anything else, it might easier if you email me as I don't visit my blog much any more. My email address is sarahf1407@aol.com. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Do you happen to have the surgeon photos? I'm curious to see the before and after of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lissa, no I'm afraid I don't have any photos from the hospital.

      Delete